St. Simons Beach

About Me

Georgia, United States
Every morning I wake-up, shake the fuzz out of my brain, and hit the ground running. I want to be more laid back and go with the flow (and some days I am that person). But all the other days I am hustling Ramsey and Isabelle (my kids) through life, alternating between adoring William (my husband) and wanting to give him a light pop upside his head, teaching kids with special needs, and tending to Cotton and Jack (the dadgum dogs).

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Measuring for True Serving Size

We are using a kitchen scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons to keep the most accurate count of our daily calories.  It is actually liberating rather than restrictive to be so precise.  It gives me comfort, because I feel certain that I am safely within my calorie intake, while also showing me that I can eat so much more of some things than others.  When we had roast, I had more meat than I would have guessed for 4 oz.  And I really was surprised how 12 Doritos (=1 serving) was plenty for my taco salad.  I was also surprised how much 1/4 cup of shredded cheese actually looks like (more than I thought) and how much 1/3 cup of ground beef covers (again, way more that I would have thought.)  The carrot thing is still amazing to me....55 calories in one cup...geez.

Measure? Yes I can.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool! I am sure that I would be shocked if I measured my food.. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete